Molly’s Christmas Ginger Bread Man Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 cup soft brown sugar, firmly packed
- 150g butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan assisted). Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, baking soda,Ground Ginger and Ground Cinnamon together into a food processor or mixing bowl. Add the soft brown sugar.
- Add the butter and pulse in food processor or rub with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add the egg and pulse or stir to mix. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour to the mix. Work the dough into a ball. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface or between 2 sheets of baking paper until 5mm thick. Using cookie cutters, cut shapes and place on the baking trays. Form the leftover dough into a ball and re-roll and repeat cutting out until all the dough is used up.
- Bake the gingerbread for 8–10 minutes or until cooked and golden. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Make the icing by sifting icing sugar into a bowl. Mix in 3–4 tsp hot water to make a piping consistency. Using a small piping nozzle, fill a small piping bag with icing and decorate biscuits.
To make this gluten free: use 1¾ cups gluten free flour and ½ tsp xantham gum. Sift both ingredients in a bowl or food processor with Ground Ginger or Ground Cinnamon, as per step 2.
Turn your gingerbread cutter upside down to make reindeer cookies.
Enjoy the baking and Merry Christmas!